Skip to main content

Prop Making and Painting - Sticking to Schedule and Sharing Skills

As always, we were ambitious, and gave ourselves a lot to do. But we also had a schedule, and we stuck to it! We planned to make all the props and gum tape first, having all props made before we move on to painting, which helped us keep our colour palette consistent. Each day, we discussed what we needed to do, which really helped us to meet the deadlines we set ourselves. We were also very considerate that some people had less experience working in 3D than others, so we worked to our strengths and helped each other when needed. Naomi took on the HUGE task of making a working shopping trolley, whilst the rest of us took on smaller props. Some props were individually made, whilst others were a result of collaboration - for example the telephone was made by Naomi and I. 

My favourite part of making props is always the painting! I love to see them come to life once colour is added, and I enjoy adding in the details. I am good at painting neatly but quickly, so I helped to do a lot of the painting. I also found that I was good at the gum taping  because I was patient and neat, but still quite quick, so I tackled some of the trickier props such as parts of the trolley, the telephone (including the twisted cord!!) and the lampshade. To stick to our schedule, we decided that only half the group needed to go to tutorials whilst the other half continued making, but we made sure to have a discussion both before and after tutorials. This was a really good idea, and really helped us to finish on time. Whilst Naomi and Yuzhen were in a tutorial, Emma and I continued painting the props, and we managed to get a lot done. My strategy was to paint lots of props at the same time, moving on whilst waiting for one to dry. 

Here are some photos I took to document the making process:



















Prop making is always fun! I have worked with Naomi and Yuzhen before on projects involving prop making. We have worked together to make photo booths before, for our Spitalfields Illustrated event at Old Spitalfields Market and for the 2017 Camberwell Degree Show private view, creating fun cardboard props to pose with. Although this time it won't be a photo booth, we are excited to be making props together again, however this time we will be performing with them!




Comments