Skip to main content

Outreach Ambassador - fun workshop with young children

I love working as an outreach ambassador. This time, I got the opportunity to work with some primary school children, who came to Chelsea College of Arts for the day for a workshop. Although it was bad timing, right in the middle of a very busy project, I decided to help out, and I'm so glad I did. 

The children were in groups, and were set a challenge to build a shelter in Chelsea's banqueting suite, using cardboard boxes. It had to fit at least 3 kids inside (and not the smallest ones!), but the more that could fit inside the better! It was really fun to help out, and my group all managed to squeeze inside their shelter. I enjoy working with children, especially creatively. I would love to do more workshops like this. 

In the afternoon, the kids were asked to create drawings based on their feelings of being in a shelter, or things that are important to them. It was really lovely to watch them sit and draw, and I got to turn their drawings into a simple stop motion animation afterwards, which was projected onto their cardboard shelters. They were so interested in how I was making it, and insisted on helping and learning how to do it, watching me intensely. I enjoyed being able to teach them something that I know about and use in my practice. 

Although this workshop came at a busy time (a couple of days before our Frumpy Monkey performances!!), it also helped. Both this workshop and our project was about telling stories, and using projection and 3D cardboard objects to help express the stories for an audience. 









Comments