Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from March, 2017

Inspiration - Paper Plane animation

The 'Paper Plane' music video was animated by Gianluca Maruotti and illustrated by Felicita Sala. It features the main character, a man, and some animals - a bear, a tortoise and a rabbit. 

It is animated using lots of drawn images and paper cutouts. I really like the style of illustration used, and the use of texture throughout. Even though it is just paper, it has a very strong sense of narrative. I think that the constant change of shot, and zooming in on sections makes the animation very engaging. The way that the scene changes from the forest to the sea is really clever. I think these techniques could be used in any future animations I make to engage the viewer. From watching this animation, it is clear that a change of scene and zooming in and out are really effective in strengthening the narrative. 


The full animation can be seen here.
The behind the scenes video can be seen here








Biography - Group Tutorial Presentation and References

I found it really useful to speak to Noel, Naomi and Emily in my tutorial about my project and my research so far. Creating the presentation helped me to see all of my research together in a concise format. It helped me to realise what aspects of my research I found the most interesting, and what I should explore more. 

The feedback I got was positive, and they liked the imagery and facts I had gathered so far. Noel said that I still need to do more research into his work and the themes/ideas behind it, which I plan to do over the Easter break through drawing. 


It was also really helpful to hear and see Naomi and Emily's presentations, so that I could see how much research I had done, and maybe what methods they had used which were different. This showed me that I need to do more written research, however there is less information on Allan Wexler compared to Naomi's and Emily's projects, and so I have decided that I need to focus on his work and the ideas behind it, as that …

Artist Talk - Sam Winston

Sam Winston came to talk to us about his work. A couple of pieces stuck in my mind:

The first was a poem. He used previous drafts of the poem to cut out the words for the final draft. He collected these words together and used them to illustrate the poem. I really liked this idea, and the fact that it was printed on transparent rice paper made it even more interesting for me. 

The second piece was a book he helped to illustrate, entitled 'A Child of Books'. In this book, he used the text from classic stories to illustrate the narrative. The characters, illustrated by Oliver Jeffers, explore the landscapes that Sam created from text. The imagery is beautiful, and an incredible amount of work went into it. I couldn't believe it when he showed us how it was made, and how he had to translate it into different languages, including changing some stories for different countries.


Author Society - Pagination and Feedback

Learning how to use indesign and pagination was really helpful, for future projects as well as for this one. It showed me how much work is need before things get sent off to print. I will definitely use the things I learnt from Eilis in future projects. Although we all made notes and understood the process, we did make a small mistake. However this was due to the similarity of a couple of our collages, rather than the use of indesign. However our manifesto still works well, and it is fairly hard to notice the mistake.
The feedback we got from Eilis and Jake was really helpful. When we first showed Eilis our collages, she said that they were visually strong and cohesive. However she told us to think about typography. We were considering using cut out , collaged letters, which she liked the idea of, but she told us to consider the font to make sure that it fits with our imagery and doesn't look too much like a ransom note. We took this advice on board and chose to cut text out of mag…

Author Society - Planning and Collage

We did a lot of planning before we started making imagery for our manifesto, as we wanted to make sure that everyone understood what kind of visuals we wanted to make, and what messages we wanted our manifesto to say. It really helped to brainstorm and write out everyone's ideas, and we realised quite early on that our ideas were fairly similar. We then decided to make a list of things we wanted to look at, and we all went home to look at different aspects of our ideas in more detail. I chose to look into the coral/underwater shapes. 

We realised that it would be difficult to make sure our manifesto flowed unless everyone worked together. If we had gone away and each made individual pages, there would have been no sense of cohesion in our message and visual identity as a society. We solved this problem by making a lot of coloured textures, which we photocopied into black and white and shared out. By doing this, we were able to make collages individually but using the same textures.…