Skip to main content

Documenting South London Story Lab 18

I decided to give myself the job of documenting the event in the Camberwell venue. I have been enjoying taking photos throughout the project for Frumpy Monkey, and for previous projects I have taken photos to share with people - for example the cinema event. I thought it was a good idea because we will be doing two Frumpy Monkey performances during the day, and so for the rest of the day I will have time to observe and document the event. 

I began using the DSLR camera I borrowed to film our performance, however I decided to use my phone instead to take photos. Although the photos aren't as good quality, I found that it was really hard to get good photos using the DSLR because the back of the venue was very dark, whereas the front of the venue had lots of light due to the windows. This meant it was hard to get the settings correct on the camera, and whilst changing the settings for different parts of the venue, I found that I was missing important interactions with visitors, and so I would have had less photos to share with everyone. By using my phone, I was able to quickly take photos, and so I didn't miss opportunities to take photos of visitors interacting with our work, which was the aim of the project and so I saw this as an important thing to capture. 


This photo was taken with the DSLR camera, but it was a bit dark and so I decided to use my phone rather than miss opportunities to take photos, because I knew people would need the photos for assessment.






After the event, I made sure to share the photos with everyone by putting them on one drive, and encouraging other people to share their photos, which meant I got to see what happened at the Peckham venue, because I was too busy on the day to go and see it. 

Here are just a few of the many photos I took of the event and people's work:














Comments