Skip to main content

Parallel Museum project - imagined objects

This project centred around drawing both from observation and from imagination. I found this quite daunting at first because I much prefer to draw what I see in front of me than from my imagination. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed drawing from memory, which was our first task. 

I found the imagination parts of the project fairly difficult. It helped me to use the method of using what I had observed, combining two or three elements of objects I had seen to create new, hybrid objects. 



This object is based around two different gold vases/objects from the British Museum. One of the objects I had drawn from memory, and I had remembered only the raspberry-like shape, and so I used this drawing as inspiration for an imagined object. I also took the chicken foot shape, which was the base of a vase and combined the two to create a strange, almost comical object. 













For this object, I combined a shell and a pocket watch together. I changed the scale of the shell, and the round shape reminded me of all of the clocks and watches I had seen at the British Museum. 









I took a similar approach for this object. The shell reminded me of the shape of a vase or jug, and so I added the top of a jug and a handle onto the side. I took inspiration from the many pots I saw at the British Museum when drawing the handle, using a shape that I had seen on other pots. 







This object is probably the most strange. I combined a starfish with the head and neck of a swan, which I had seen on the sides of pots in the museum. I used the starfish as a base for the object, and added the swan neck coming out from the centre of the star. 










I then created an imagined room, including some of my imagined objects and some new ones. I used a combination of collage and drawing to create the piece. I think that the blue floor is really effective in giving the drawing a sense of space. I would have liked to use more collage in this piece if I had more time, and add more detail such as a texture on the floor. The feedback was fairly positive, particularly about the blue collaged floor and the use of tracing paper to create the glass cabinet. However they also said that the colours I used on some of the objects were a bit too bright compared to the rest of the room. I hadn't really considered this, as the main reason behind some objects being brighter than others was because I used tracing paper over the top of some objects in the cabinet, which muted the colours quite a bit. 




I enjoyed making my imagined object 3D. Although it was a difficult shape to make, I used paper plates to make the surface slightly curved and textured. This was really effective when it came to painting my object, because the ridges on the plate showed through if I used a fairly dry brush. During the crit, people said that my object was well made. However, they also said I could have changed it slightly from the first drawing I had done. 

Comments