Skip to main content

David Hockney - Tate Britain Exhibition

Whilst I was at Chelsea for the Retooling symposium and the Draw The Truth talk, I visited the Tate Britain to see the David Hockney exhibition. 

After Adrian's lecture about the reproduction of famous images like the Mona Lisa, it made me think about whether the David Hockney paintings that are incredibly famous, such as 'A Bigger Splash', would live up to expectation. However I was surprised when I saw it in person, as it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. After visiting this exhibition, I am considering choosing the essay question about reproductions and whether it changes the viewers experience. 

I found the exhibition hugely inspiring. Although it was very busy, there were lots of pieces to see. I enjoyed looking at his paintings in person rather than in a book or on the internet, as I could see the texture of the paint, and the small details such as his use of mark making. Also, the colours were a lot more vibrant in person. Visiting the exhibition definitely gave me the urge to go home and paint, and I am hoping to get back into painting soon. 

I particularly enjoyed his sketches and drawings because they are less famous, and it was really nice to see how he approached observational drawings. I was quite surprised when I saw some of his graphite portraits, as they were very soft and delicate, totally different to his bold, vibrant paintings. 

His colourful landscapes were very engaging, and his use of clever composition made me feel as though I could step into the landscape in front of me. However, I also liked his charcoal landscapes. His control with the charcoal is incredible, and he is able to leave white highlights, and add soft shadows and reflections, making the landscape seem more realistic and have more depth. 




Comments