Skip to main content

Bedwyr Williams - The Gulch

When visiting the Barbican during the City as Object project, I went to the current exhibition in the Curve Gallery, situated in the Barbican. The exhibition was entitled 'The Gulch' by Bedwyr Williams. It involved going through a series of staged rooms and scenes, each one more confusing and unexpected than the previous. 

I found the exhibition very confusing and disorientating. Navigating through the long sequence of rooms felt a bit like an adventure. I went through the exhibition twice, and I found that the second time, I noticed even more things that I hadn't noticed before. I found this to be such an exciting way to go through an exhibition. Before I went in the exhibition, I had no idea what it was or how long it was, so as I went through each room, it was like discovering a new environment. 

It was very thought-provoking and many questions came to mind: 
where is the end?
where am I?
what will be in the next room?
why is there a singing shoe?
what is behind that curtain?

I also really liked the contrast in the exhibition. Whilst some rooms were strange and unexpected, other rooms were mundane and somewhat familiar. This strengthened the element of confusion and surprise. 







Comments