Skip to main content

Subject Object - Typography Workshop

The task was to create a new font using objects related to our subject matter. As my subject matter is the current tube strikes on the London Underground, I decided to bring objects such as:
my Oyster card
train tickets
newspapers collected on the train
leaflets from the station
a piece of string with a knot in it to symbolise tension and the service disruption
scissors and a craft knife to represent the job cuts
headphones (which many people use on the train) 

I used a variety of techniques to create my alphabet. I really enjoyed this approach to dealing with typography because it was less conventional than perhaps a graphic designer would approach designing a font. It made the task a lot more exciting, and it was a method that I would perhaps like to use again in future projects. My favourite methods were probably printing with the edge of a train ticket and using the London Underground symbol I had cut out to draw round for each letter. I decided to continue working on my alphabet after the workshop, further exploring the idea of drawing round the London Underground symbol. I chose this method because the symbol is recognisable and iconic. It was a challenge to create some letters, however I really enjoyed trying to work out each letter. 

I also decided to test out my chosen font on my poster, using ink to quickly create a draft poster to test out the typography. I was fairly happy with the result, and although the drawing was quick and I knew that the design needed refining before I could call it my final poster, it was a good way to quickly see my typography in the context of a poster, and how it worked with my imagery. 


Inspiration



This is the work of Lisa Rienermann. I had not seen her work before, and I find it so interesting. She took photos of buildings, looking up towards the sky, creating an alphabet from the skyline. These shapes coincidentally exist in the landscape, and if you look hard enough you can find certain shapes anywhere. I find this concept so fascinating, as I find during a project I will notice things relating to that project in the world more that I usually would.









This piece is by Paul Elliman, entitled 'Bits'. He has used found objects to create letterforms. Similar to Rienermann's work, Elliman's work shows that shapes can be found anywhere you look, and therefore this font may never be finished, as there will always be another object found, or another letterform found in the skyline. 

Comments