Skip to main content

Artist Talk - Sophie Demay

I went to an artist talk led by graphic designer Sophie Demay. I found it quite difficult to connect with the work she was showing us, as it was mainly exploring layouts and type. However a project she showed us entitled 'Facing Pages' really caught my attention. It was a film by James Langdon and Stuart Whips, exploring the idea of how a double page spread in a book can be used to an artist's advantage. It explores the ways that double pages can be used to create a narrative and even to make a social comment. The film also looks at the composition of the pages, and the idea of making use of the edge of the page. 

I found this part of the talk really interesting. It made me consider how I can use this idea in my own work. When making books before, I haven't really considered the relationship between two facing pages, and how they can be used together to strengthen the narrative. 

An extract from the film 'Facing Pages' can be found here. 










Comments