Skip to main content

Shape of Light exhibition at Tate Modern

Shape of Light: 100 years of photography and abstract art
This exhibition explores artists who work with light to create abstract work. I am quite interested in photography, having recently helped out at a photography workshop. I found this exhibition to be very surprising. Some of the photos had such high contrast between black and white that they almost looked like they could be prints or paintings. I have always been interested in creating an atmosphere, particularly during my foundation course exploring strong light and shadow using photography. This exhibition inspired me to try and bring this back into my work again, and think about the light and shadow. I also really liked the photos of textures, as texture is something I like to try and explore in my own research and work. The photographers in this exhibition prioritise shape, form and expression over recognisable subject matter. It was surprising to me that photos of this quality could have been produced in the 1920s and 1930s, when photographers today have access to so much more technology and yet still strive to produce such high quality images. It makes you think about how these photos were created in a time with limited resources. 




Comments