Skip to main content

Picasso 1932 - Love Fame Tragedy exhibition at Tate Modern

I was really looking forward to seeing the Picasso exhibition, and although it was busy because of the closing weekend, it did not disappoint. 

I particularly liked seeing his sketches and sketchbooks, as it showed me that not all drawings need to look finished and perfect. It was quite overwhelming to see how much work he was able to produce in just one year. On some days he even managed to complete a few full paintings! It made me think about how much work I produce and whether it is enough. I enjoyed seeing series of paintings he had completed that were very similar but with small changes to composition or colour, clearly testing and experimenting. I found it amusing to read that instead of attending his own retrospective exhibition at the Galeries Georges Petit in June 1932, which was a rare and therefore significant event at the time as retrospectives were unusual, Matisse being an exception, Picasso decided to go to the cinema, missing his own exhibition opening. 

I also really liked the way that Tate curators tried to recreate parts of Picasso's retrospective exhibition, displaying pieces of work in the same way and showing photos to compare. It makes you think about the significance of this exhibition, and whether people in the future will talk about the big exhibition of Picasso's work at the Tate in 2018. 

I found Picasso's colour palette, particularly in some pieces, to be quite inspiring. I think that I need to consider my own colour palette more in my work. 




Comments